david lQ & A: David L.

The Urban Book Source
January 2009

With self-published books increasing and new authors emerging, how do you effectively market yourself these days?
I continue to market myself and my company the best way possible: through word of mouth. Although the self-publishing company is growing, the economy is on a decline which means us as the industry need to become more creative with our product. Gone are the days a self-publisher can put out product filled with grammatical errors and a mundane range of topics to write about. Today, the average book consumer is much wiser and demand superior product to purchase from us the self-publisher. Positive word of mouth separates the novice artist from the truly talented. Additionally, it carves a divide between those serious about their craft and those who are only in it for a temporary duration.

Do you think the industry is saturated? If so, how can quality authors stand out?
It has not become completely saturated – yet. Similar to the hip hop culture, many authors are not true students of the game and don’t know their literary history. As far as quality authors standing out, that will happen as long as refreshing, captivating work is being produced. Once the market becomes completely saturated, only those in it for the long haul will be able to outlast the “flash in the pan.”

How long have you been writing and when did you publish your first book?
I’ve been writing for a little over five years. My first title, It’s Like Butter, Baby was published under a Canadian imprint in 2004. I released my first self-published novel, Over Your Dead Body under my company, Total Package Publications in the spring of 2007 and immediately followed that with Chalk Outline Confessions earlier this year.

[[ VIEW VIDEO CLIP OF DAVID L. BELOW ]]

Your book, Over Your Dead Body, is set for movie production. How did this come about and when can we expect to see the film?
The movie deal came about by a chance encounter with the film’s associate producer. I was doing a book signing one weekend and she purchased a copy of the book. About six months later, she contacted my publicist and the rest is history.

Tell us briefly what your new book is about?
My newest book, My Life Is A Movie is available in February 2009 and takes the reader back into time. The exact year is 1988. A time when life was simpler, yet an era being duplicated today with fashion, slang, and culture. I delve into the lives of three High School seniors, each going in separate directions of their lives. Consequently, choices are made and based on those choices, life events are forever altered to match those choices. The general theme is upbeat and action-packed, and everyone who reads the book will be able to identify with at least one of the main characters.

You are often quoted as saying, "Tell the world my name." Besides the obvious, what does this symbolize quote mean to you?
“Tell The World My Name” is my official slogan of choice. Sometimes, I interchange that with “Say What You Want, Just Spell My Name Right.” The quotes symbolize my position in the literary world. In other words, as long as you remember me whether positive or negative, you WILL remember me and acknowledge my skills. Furthermore, my presence will ultimately live on in your memory, hopefully, in a positive light.

Read Is There a Demand for Print On Demand by David L.
Visit David L's website at: www.totalpackagepublications.com
Visit David L. on Myspace: myspace.com/totalpackagepub

rjwnsjwxmd :
xnKU3v <a href="http://impbgwegjxmd.com/">impbg wegjxmd</a>
Santanu :
The Book Thief is very meaningful. As a soeinr citizen, growing up as a small child during WW II the book made me realize that the enemy is not the axis or the allies, but rather very insidiously introduced into your life. The book made me realize that we all must be vigilant in watching for those influences that make us intolerant to fellow mankind.
Santanu :
Babs :
insightful interview indeed. you guys at urban book source went "all out" with this interview. give yourselves a pat on the back for choosing David L. as your New Year's interview of choice!
Violet :
A double dipper: He's got skills wit the pen AND fine as hell!
Sharmina T. :
David L. is one of my favorite authors for the simple fact that he is INNOVATIVE. He is a Business Minded Individual who recognizes what is necessary to attract reader, sell books, and keep people coming back for me. He also knows how to "Package" his product and keep a FAN BASE!
Very Insightful Indeed!
Joey Pinkney :
This was a very insightful interview. David L is a great author that throws a curve ball in Urban Lit. It's good to see an author taking a business-minded approach to writing Urban Lit. I'm sure there is more to see from this definite talent in the years, and maybe decades, to come.
GQ :
You speak the truth! Read both your books...classics!!
Tyesha :
Met him at a booksigning in bmore over the summer last year. A humble dude that was courteous and very down-to-earth. Looking forward to his next book.
Mike Douby :
I read this brother's first book Over Your Dead Body about 6 months ago on the plane. It was so good I read it again before my flight back to NYC and again a few days later!
Mikal Marshall :
He's trying.
Melissa :
Get commentary in the video, keep it up David L!