kwame teagueDutch Trilogy Ends Dynasty Begins

PART 1 OF 2

by Kaven L. Brown
January 2010

One of the most renowned names in street literature that readers have come to know since its resurgence from the Donald Goines era is Kwame Teague aka “Dutch.” Teague is the author of six novels which includes, The Adventures of Ghetto Sam and the Glory of My Demise, Dutch, Dutch II: Angel's Revenge, Dutch III: The Finale, Thug Politics and his latest release Dynasty.

Teague exploded onto the scene in 2001 with not his first novel but his second, Dutch, which became an instant classic. With great anticipation, Dutch II would follow and after what seemed like a dry spell, Dutch III: The Finale was finally released. This last installment of the trilogy received its fair share of criticism, something that was previously foreign to the Dutch tales. Teague explains, “Dutch was a concept in the first two installments, so he was Kwame Teague Book Titlesreally only a character in Dutch: The Finale. This is why I believe people were a little upset with the Finale because the Dutch they read about in I and II wasn’t the flesh and blood cat in the Finale.”

Readers waited on baited breath for what seemed like an eternity for the conclusion, which resulted in mixed reviews regarding the ending of the trilogy. Overall, Dutch III: The Finale was deemed a good book. It was not what some expected but it has allowed for closure of what happened to Dutch and the other characters.

Teague creates from a prison cell, a place he’s been since 1994. Having served nearly two decades, he has been writing for nearly the same amount of time. Roughly six years into his bid, he would self-publish his first book. “Back in like 2000, I saw an article in Vibe magazine. [Teri Woods had] just put out True to the Game. I had self-published Ghetto Sam through iuniverse.com, then I saw that. So, I had my people contact her and send her my book. She dug it and it started from there.” Shortly thereafter, Dutch and Dutch II would be published and become favorites among readers.

The success of Dutch has not come without a price for Teague while he has been in the penal system. “When they truly understood how successful [Dutch] was, they put me in segregation for 60 days on trumped up charges and shipped me seven hours from my family. They feared the influence I have over other inmates. Those were their exact words. They also banned the book in every North Carolina state prison.” However, prisons placing authors in segregation who write books from behind the wall is nothing new. Bestselling author, Wahida Clark was placed in solitary confinement for 8 months on charges related to conducting business in prison. “In a crazy way, being put away like that made me focus. You got to take the good with the bad,” Clark stated.

Born and raised as a Muslim, Teague has always been socially and politically conscious with a knack for storytelling and a desire to write since he was a youngster. “I started writing when I was like 12 or 13. Matter of fact, I basically wrote ‘New Jack City’ in 1985,” says Teague. “But back then there wasn’t any outlets for writers that I knew of, and I was scared to let cats know that I was writing because I was scared they’d clown me. In the ghetto, at that time, if it wasn’t sports or drugs people didn’t support your dreams because there were few examples around of people that dared to [dream].”

The critically acclaimed Dutch takes place in a fictional city in New Jersey. It’s centered around the gangster-druglord, Bernard James aka “Dutch” and his cohorts: Angel, Craze and One-Eyed Roc who later becomes Rahman. Sales are speculated and rumored to have sold in the six-figure range (which is basically platinum status for a book) and has left readers mesmerized and yearning for more. Many have inquired and hope for a fourth installment. Yet through his erratic journey Teague delivers, Dynasty, his latest novel, which explores fatherhood in the life of a crime family, released in December 2009 published by DC Bookdiva Publications.

Check back soon for the exclusive part two interview with Kwame "Dutch" Teague. We'll tackle critics of street lit, writing, advice, future projects and more.

Kaven Brown is a contributing editor for The Urban Book Source, writer and the producer of the Behind Those Books Documentary.

MONICA :
WHERE CAN I FIND DUTCH III THE FINALE?
tony2g :
I read Dynasty,and you did it again.Great!!!Great!!!book.You have a way of bringing the characters to life.Guy Simmons and Ty have a decision to make.I'm pressed for Dynasty 2.Keep up the great work!You have a customer for life with me.
cherise fishewr :
I finished reading Dynasty yesterday and I can't stop thinking about it. I really want the second book. I enjoyed every twist and turn and I felt like I was beside each character in all the action. Good Job! Please continue to keep us entertained.
tonytouch :
I just finished reading dynasty and I loved it. The end left me wanting more so I hope there's a part two in the works.
new reader :
enjoyed part one and now patiently waiting for part two.
HisBetterHalf :
Insightful! Waiting on Part II!!!
DetroitCutie :
I loved the Dutch series and I think I was one of the few that loved the finale. I loved the the way the ghost we knew as Dutch was a real dude with feelings and he had to come to grips with the things in his life. I thought the ending was poetic justice because it to me it made the whole thing come full circle.
Tammy :
Dutch is the best street lit book out!
Lady Dee from Baltimore :
I have read most of his books and loved them,he's a good author so i look forward to Dynasty. Keep up the good work
Pathfinder :
I read his books and loved every one of them. A very intense writer with a lot of passion, his writing brings the daily nuances of the street to life. he's one of the few brothers whose writings I actually look forward in reading. A wonderful article Kaven, I look forward to part two.
Bashira :
I second that Joey! Angel, Craze and them were some very memorable people. Dutch grow up and the some of the readers didn't like it, they didn't know how adjust to that. We all have to grow up one day. I don't think his plan was to have him with the bang bang shoot em up kill through an entire 3 books. Very good article!
Joey Pinkney :
Wow. Such an intense author. And he gave the American Lit world a character, and characters, that people decidedly cling to. A writer's first dream.
I like the maturity is approached the critics with. The critics didn't want the characters to grow and deviate from the plan. He had to have know that would happen before he released The Finale. But with growth comes change and vice versa.
Kaven Brown, this was a great Part I. I look forward to Part II.