Nick Chiles:
A Critical Look at Street Lit

by Taylor Nix
October 2009

Nick Chiles has been the poster child for the dissenting voice against Street Lit that has surfaced among Black authors of opposing genres. Whether deserved or not Nick has often been villanized as Street Lit's biggest enemy. But this casting has not stopped Nick from speaking out and sharing his concerns. In fact, he has taken the time to speak candidly about the New York Times article, Their Eyes Were Reading Smut, with The Urban Book Source. Read on for an interesting look at Street Literature.

Since your infamous article, “Their Eyes Were Reading Smut,” have your feelings changed about street literature? For better or worse?
No, my feelings haven’t changed at all. In fact, they’ve probably gotten worse. Because my magazine, Odyssey Couleur, did book reviews in every issue, we were sent new releases by many of the publicists for black-oriented books. What I’ve seen over the last couple of years since the New York Times article is even more of an increase in the sexuality of most of the African-American books, as if everybody is trying to be Zane.

Given your stance on street literature, would you ever work with any of the authors or publishers in the genre to improve the material being produced to a better standard?
I just don’t have the time or inclination to be focused on trying to improve street fiction. I have too many things I want to say in my own work, too many issues that I think need to be addressed in our literature. I don’t think nearly enough attention has been given in recent decades to the internal life of black men, the emotional and psychological scars that we grapple with in private. If there were more works that delved into these issues, I think it might prove to be revelatory for a lot of black men out there who currently think they have to work through these things alone. I’m actually working on a book with Kirk Franklin right now that explores some of these internal issues. Works like these have a much higher priority for me right now than street fiction.

Since your article have you discovered any other issues with street literature? Could you theorize any solutions or ways to improve this genre?
As I’ve said before, it doesn’t appear that writers approach the work with a desire to say anything remotely profound or with an attention to craft. Right now, for too many writers, the idea that propels them seems to be primarily financial, that writing street fiction is a good way to make a buck. Maybe 10 years ago it was real estate, 20 years ago it was Amway, now it’s urban fiction. In the past, most writers humbly approached that blank page with a desire to say something about the human condition, to explore some of the peculiarities of trying to stay alive and thrive in a complicated age.

The last thing that writers used to think about was getting rich. That was not a realistic expectation, and it wasn’t a thought process that was likely to produce memorable works of art. So I would say that if writers today asked themselves the key question, what am I trying to say here, how are my words intended to contribute to an understanding of African-American life in the new millennium, then perhaps there might be an elevation in the quality of the work.

What do you think is the difference between African-American Literature and Street Literature?
I think African-American literature concerns itself with trying to explore, explain, reveal the true nature of the African-American soul, with asking and answering questions about what it means to be black in America at a time when so many others are trying to tell us it has so much less meaning than it used to. Street literature is too often about the glorification and exploitation of sex, violence, greed—the worst aspects of our nature, the things that we all must fight to tame, rather than to celebrate. I’m not saying that wonderful, explosive, revelatory works can’t be done about the streets, or criminals, or even about subjects that are very sexual in nature. But these works would need to use these issues as a vehicle to discuss the human condition, rather than a glorification of the subjects being the point of the whole exercise.

In your article, you wrote, “I walked into the African-American Literature section - and what I saw there thoroughly embarrassed and disgusted me.” Can you take us back to that moment and explain why you felt that way? Did you think those books represented you? If so, why?
I still feel it every time I walk into a Borders. It’s a sense of that shame that this is what our community feels about itself, our importance to the world, our contribution to the exploration of the human condition. It’s like the gifted, talented, brilliant woman who decides that she should use just her looks and sexuality to get ahead, rather than developing and using her mind and her talent. We’re like that woman—unbelievably talented and complex, but ignoring it all to make a buck. Fifty years from now, what will be said about our generation? I fear history will not be kind to us at all. And that saddens and shames me.

Do you think Street Lit will survive?
I think there will always be books that titillate, that entertain by glorifying sex and violence and street life. I just hope that the writing community and the publishing community eventually present more of a balance, so that readers who want to learn more and learn deeper about black life have more of a choice.

Have you ever read any of the authors who are considered to be the pioneers of this “street” literature? Donald Goines, Iceberg Slim? If so, do you think there is a difference between their work and what is being published now?
I read Iceberg Slim when I was younger. There were also others I read that focused on life in the streets, such as Claude Brown’s “Manchild in the Promised Land,” “Howard Street” about the streets of Newark, works by Chester Himes like “A Rage in Harlem.” These were all seminal, transformative works that changed the way many Americans thought about black life and the streets. They were intended to reveal a part of American society that had previously been hidden too many. But that’s not what’s going on now.

Has the emergence of Street Lit impacted your work directly? Or what the publishing houses are demanding?
Street lit has impacted the life and work of every working black writer in America in a number of ways. Because the publishers are so reliant on the street fiction authors to do their own publicity and marketing, the marketing and publicity budgets for black books are now miniscule, even for books that aren’t street fiction. Because the publishers can get away with paying paltry advances to street fiction authors, the advances that other black authors are offered has gone down dramatically. Because of the success of some street fiction authors, publishers decided it would be easier to just hand over imprints to authors like Zane and Teri Woods, rather than going out and trying to find new authors themselves.

So the number of talented new authors being brought into the profession has plunged. Many of the established black authors, in their attempts to stay relevant and make a living, have gravitated to more salacious topics. Others just decided to stop writing altogether because they refused to go in that direction. So it has impacted every aspect of the publishing profession.

- - - - - - - - -

Nick Chiles is an award-winning author and journalist; he is the Editor-In-Chief of Odyssey Couleur Magazine.

Questions, comments and concerns can be sent to: taylor@urbanbooksource.com
Get Real :
Why is it that everytime some speaks out aganist "smut" they are always considered "haters"? Why? Lets get real! Street Lit should not speak for every black authors. But the reality is that its starting to now! When all a people write is watered down garbage you water down the people. I mean come on now, its not like these are the best written books!
LETS WAKE UP! A CRITIQUE IS NOT A HATE!
Inmia Biazis :
@ Denene Millner, thanks for your input. What you've said is so true. The industry needs to grow up already and look at things with a critical eye instead of the "3rd grade" replies.

@Nick Chiles, thanks much for the honest words. Keep writing.
Denene Millner :
@Troy of AALBC: I totally get your point; you're absolutely right that urban-lit authors aren't the only writers looking to create wealth; an artist deserves to be paid for his/her work, no matter how good or bad someone else thinks it is. And yes, technological innovations did make it easier for writers who didn't enjoy the eyes and ears of major publishers to pursue their craft and serve a different audience. Still, the numbers of literary works written, published, and read—ones that focus on US, that are written by US—have been reduced to a trickle as major publishers focus their sights on the quick buck.
And this is a shame, for many of the reasons Nick points out.
It's a "controversy" because it seems that when it comes to black readers, street fiction comes at a high price: It has replaced the desire/need/allegiance to quality literary work. As major publishers rush to give a paltry deal to an urban-lit writer, they are bypassing quality work, or giving short shrift to the promotion of the books that actually do make it to the bookstores, which means that you and I will probably never see those works.
This is a problem, brother. A serious problem.
Denene Millner :
@Treasure E Blue, @James
I'm Denene Millner, Nick's wife. Together, Nick and I have written six books together, he's working on his 7th, and next year, my 17th and 18th books will hit bookstores. Nick and I are writers. We adore the written word. And we love us some black people—beyond measure. And we make no apologies for this. We've dedicated our lives to the upliftment of our people—in virtually everything we do. Our book standings on Amazon are not a measure of this, by any stretch. (And trust me, sweeties: It's not a measure of our bank accounts, either.) To dismiss Nick's arguments as "hateration" and "self-hate" is not only ridiculously silly and 3rd grade, but a serious cop out to the issues he raises. Take a minute, re-read this brilliant post, and then come back with some adult responses to what you've read. Please.
Troy of AALBC.com :
Excellent questions. I would never have heard of Odyssey Couleur Magazine were it not for this article...
Creating wealth through writing was not started nor unique to urban-lit authors.
But the focus/blame is incorrectly placed upon the authors themselves. Technological innovations allowed some authors to satisfy an unmet demand of the readership. Major publishers, driven by profits, followed suit.
Great literary works are still being written, published and read. Urban authors simply adressing a new and different audience.
I often wonder why this is still a "controversy".
Tammy White :
I think he has some very good points.
Freecity :
@Treasure E Blue, tell his friends he's from England? Wow! That's funny!
James :
It's silly and easier to hate because your own books are not doing well. Take a look in the mirror brother. Self hatred.
Dead Street Lit :
Okay, I read this and I agree! The bookcovers are horrible. Even if I wanted to read one of this books, I would be too ashamed to even pull one of them out and let others see me read it. NOT because I'm ashamed of reading black books but because the covers are shameful! By the way, no offense to any of the authors, but all of the K'wan's, Shannon Holmes, Teri Woods, Vickie Stringers and even Treasure Blue's books are not top of the line readings. Are you serious?
Where is it now? :
Is this about money or art? Depending on what you decide, then we can talk. Cause it seems like one arugument is all about money and no attention to craft, while the other is focusing on craft and the art of writing. I personally choose the latter.
Let get it together people!
Treasure E Blue :
Once again Nick Chiles is on a rampant rampage directing his haterism towards an easy target. It's been done since the beginning of time if you ask me. When rap was born, and after, these same tactics was used on the NEXT BIG THING, and now it's a thriving multi billion dollar business and everybody, and I mean everybody want to be seen with them. I read Man Child in the Promise land and it starts out with a young boy getting shot. It has sex, greed and drugs in it's context, is that not glorification of the street. And Howard St, don't get me started. I looked up Nick Childs books on Amazon and his books are low rated and obcurred, maybe this is the reason he is so upset with street lit, because his books are not on the shelves. I bet you a million dollars to one that some of his favorite movies are urban related with everything he say he detest. He's the type of black man that will tell his white friends that he is from England when he was raised just like us. Hate on you loser. By the way, I got signed to Random House for a multi-six figure 3 book deal, how much did your publisher ever paid you?
Inmia Biazis :
Nick Chiles gave a great interview! I've followed african american literature for like forever. I was introduced to this genre now called street literature a few years back. I don't have a problem with it, but as of lately the stories are becoming the same. Over and over again, I'm reading about one of three things: drugs, sex or guns with violence. I have to ask do some of these authors have anything else to write about? And ALL of the bookcovers look the same.

I think its time that the street literature community rise above and start putting out better stories and books that look and can compete with what's on bookshelves and libraries. Don't we want to progress?