Nick Chiles:
A Critical Look at Street Lit

by Taylor Nix
October 2009

Nick Chiles has been the poster child for the dissenting voice against Street Lit that has surfaced among Black authors of opposing genres. Whether deserved or not Nick has often been villanized as Street Lit's biggest enemy. But this casting has not stopped Nick from speaking out and sharing his concerns. In fact, he has taken the time to speak candidly about the New York Times article, Their Eyes Were Reading Smut, with The Urban Book Source. Read on for an interesting look at Street Literature.

Since your infamous article, “Their Eyes Were Reading Smut,” have your feelings changed about street literature? For better or worse?
No, my feelings haven’t changed at all. In fact, they’ve probably gotten worse. Because my magazine, Odyssey Couleur, did book reviews in every issue, we were sent new releases by many of the publicists for black-oriented books. What I’ve seen over the last couple of years since the New York Times article is even more of an increase in the sexuality of most of the African-American books, as if everybody is trying to be Zane.

Given your stance on street literature, would you ever work with any of the authors or publishers in the genre to improve the material being produced to a better standard?
I just don’t have the time or inclination to be focused on trying to improve street fiction. I have too many things I want to say in my own work, too many issues that I think need to be addressed in our literature. I don’t think nearly enough attention has been given in recent decades to the internal life of black men, the emotional and psychological scars that we grapple with in private. If there were more works that delved into these issues, I think it might prove to be revelatory for a lot of black men out there who currently think they have to work through these things alone. I’m actually working on a book with Kirk Franklin right now that explores some of these internal issues. Works like these have a much higher priority for me right now than street fiction.

Since your article have you discovered any other issues with street literature? Could you theorize any solutions or ways to improve this genre?
As I’ve said before, it doesn’t appear that writers approach the work with a desire to say anything remotely profound or with an attention to craft. Right now, for too many writers, the idea that propels them seems to be primarily financial, that writing street fiction is a good way to make a buck. Maybe 10 years ago it was real estate, 20 years ago it was Amway, now it’s urban fiction. In the past, most writers humbly approached that blank page with a desire to say something about the human condition, to explore some of the peculiarities of trying to stay alive and thrive in a complicated age.

The last thing that writers used to think about was getting rich. That was not a realistic expectation, and it wasn’t a thought process that was likely to produce memorable works of art. So I would say that if writers today asked themselves the key question, what am I trying to say here, how are my words intended to contribute to an understanding of African-American life in the new millennium, then perhaps there might be an elevation in the quality of the work.

What do you think is the difference between African-American Literature and Street Literature?
I think African-American literature concerns itself with trying to explore, explain, reveal the true nature of the African-American soul, with asking and answering questions about what it means to be black in America at a time when so many others are trying to tell us it has so much less meaning than it used to. Street literature is too often about the glorification and exploitation of sex, violence, greed—the worst aspects of our nature, the things that we all must fight to tame, rather than to celebrate. I’m not saying that wonderful, explosive, revelatory works can’t be done about the streets, or criminals, or even about subjects that are very sexual in nature. But these works would need to use these issues as a vehicle to discuss the human condition, rather than a glorification of the subjects being the point of the whole exercise.

In your article, you wrote, “I walked into the African-American Literature section - and what I saw there thoroughly embarrassed and disgusted me.” Can you take us back to that moment and explain why you felt that way? Did you think those books represented you? If so, why?
I still feel it every time I walk into a Borders. It’s a sense of that shame that this is what our community feels about itself, our importance to the world, our contribution to the exploration of the human condition. It’s like the gifted, talented, brilliant woman who decides that she should use just her looks and sexuality to get ahead, rather than developing and using her mind and her talent. We’re like that woman—unbelievably talented and complex, but ignoring it all to make a buck. Fifty years from now, what will be said about our generation? I fear history will not be kind to us at all. And that saddens and shames me.

Do you think Street Lit will survive?
I think there will always be books that titillate, that entertain by glorifying sex and violence and street life. I just hope that the writing community and the publishing community eventually present more of a balance, so that readers who want to learn more and learn deeper about black life have more of a choice.

Have you ever read any of the authors who are considered to be the pioneers of this “street” literature? Donald Goines, Iceberg Slim? If so, do you think there is a difference between their work and what is being published now?
I read Iceberg Slim when I was younger. There were also others I read that focused on life in the streets, such as Claude Brown’s “Manchild in the Promised Land,” “Howard Street” about the streets of Newark, works by Chester Himes like “A Rage in Harlem.” These were all seminal, transformative works that changed the way many Americans thought about black life and the streets. They were intended to reveal a part of American society that had previously been hidden too many. But that’s not what’s going on now.

Has the emergence of Street Lit impacted your work directly? Or what the publishing houses are demanding?
Street lit has impacted the life and work of every working black writer in America in a number of ways. Because the publishers are so reliant on the street fiction authors to do their own publicity and marketing, the marketing and publicity budgets for black books are now miniscule, even for books that aren’t street fiction. Because the publishers can get away with paying paltry advances to street fiction authors, the advances that other black authors are offered has gone down dramatically. Because of the success of some street fiction authors, publishers decided it would be easier to just hand over imprints to authors like Zane and Teri Woods, rather than going out and trying to find new authors themselves.

So the number of talented new authors being brought into the profession has plunged. Many of the established black authors, in their attempts to stay relevant and make a living, have gravitated to more salacious topics. Others just decided to stop writing altogether because they refused to go in that direction. So it has impacted every aspect of the publishing profession.

- - - - - - - - -

Nick Chiles is an award-winning author and journalist; he is the Editor-In-Chief of Odyssey Couleur Magazine.

Questions, comments and concerns can be sent to: taylor@urbanbooksource.com
Evelyn :
What do (or did) Elin and Tiger talk about over the dinner table? If I met a girl at a <a href="http://bcxrdny.com">sptors</ a> bar, and we had dinner, we could poke fun at the BCS, or Tim Donaghy on 60 minutes, or Brett Favre's age. What do Tiger and Elin have in common?Nothing.His problem is he probably didn't get along with his wife well enough to spend a lot of time with her. He had to look elsewhere for his excitement, like a Pilgrim moving to the US since there is no land for sale in England.If he married someone he got along with, he'd spend more time at home, or his wife would spend more time on the road, and maybe this wouldn't have happened.Tiger Woods personality as a result of his upbringing and profession are very white so its doubtful he has much in common with many black women, and its probable his ideal woman is not black. Unfortunately, we'll never know. With his fame he's unable to meet on the same level with most ladies, hence Tiger's need to screen women using very superficial criteria.I think he would have a great time married to a female golfer and there's a fair number of good looking ones if that's his thing.I didn't feel like I knew Tiger anyway since he was so "private" before, I'm looking forward to new version.
Niyasnass :
This blog post was depressing.I just lnreaed that my chances of ever getting with a white or asian chick are significantly lower than those of white and asian men :(As a black man, this makes me sad. I can handle rejection based on physical appearance but I think it's unfair and a bit racist to reject someone on the basis that their genes are Alkaline. The former can be altered with bleaching cream and extensive plastic surgery, but the former? Beyond my control.For that reason, I was deeply hurt by a2's comments. I'm not mad at it though. The girl Victoria (assuming she's really black, and I have my doubts)would be more than happy to date a guy like me. Long as blacks don't "date out" y'all won't have to worry about the white race going extinct. Remember, Asians are considered white in a sense. In terms of genetics and appearance, they're more similar to whites than blacks, and so whites don't have as many hang ups over dating/marrying them.Hispanics (whatever the hell that means)also make decent romantic partners, for similar reasons. Black genes are the only genes that completely cancel out white genes, thereafter reducing them to lowest terms.So, what should whites do to avoid extinction? Open your hearts and minds (and your legs too, ladies)to Hispanics, Asians and all non-blacks in an effort to assimilate them into mainstream (white) society. Don't worry about blacks tainting your gene pool. The white race will not go extinct!
Mayane :
you're an inspiration! i'm<a href="http://zglrlfflgvn.com"> tlkniag</a> about the reading AND the weird vibe (i think i do, too) AND the loss of self control people need to be more of themselves, not less in the world. Thank you for claiming it. haters be damned!
Mark :
Thanks! I calculated my actonis precisely and prepared for some time before knowing when it would take place. After such a long break from public reading, I was a bit flustered, but I pulled it off. Not to be too self-aggrandizing, I would someday soon like to be a featured reader somewhere but I fear my own backyard is closed to me for weird reasons. http://urlpmeltu.com [url=http://lbmimhh.com]lbmimhh[/url] [link=http://utvjxbaqxro.com]utvjxbaqxro[/link]
Akane :
Thanks! We have a few venues here and at one time I was<a href="http://wenwswoml.com"> isaerumtntnl</a> in a revue for my writing group (which no longer exists.) I am a pleasant enough person but I must give off a weird vibe because I seem to have estranged myself from the illustrious set around here. I am going to keep plugging away at my thing, and perhaps one day I will garner enough respect to be invited to some events. At least that is my hope. I am perhaps too gregarious for many of the transplants who came here to attend the university. I am a vivacious Cajun who has in the past lost a bit of her self-control. Or, maybe I am imagining things but for sure the powers that be are aware of me and wary of me.
Gustavo :
Thanks! We have a few venues here and at one time I was inmurtsental in a revue for my writing group (which no longer exists.) I am a pleasant enough person but I must give off a weird vibe because I seem to have estranged myself from the illustrious set around here. I am going to keep plugging away at my thing, and perhaps one day I will garner enough respect to be invited to some events. At least that is my hope. I am perhaps too gregarious for many of the transplants who came here to attend the university. I am a vivacious Cajun who has in the past lost a bit of her self-control. Or, maybe I am imagining things but for sure the powers that be are aware of me and wary of me.
Mary :
I am always at my local indie, chicekng out new books and spending maaad money! I have gained a great relationship with most of the employees there and about a year ago, the owner came up to me while I was looking for a new book and handed me a small stack of ARCs that she thought I would enjoy. That moment meant so much to me because they showed me why it is important to support local business whenever possible. They see customers as actual people and not just a few more bucks in their cash register.
Ilham :
æ”¿åºœå…¬æ –‡ 大致å&frac3 4;—三種做æ ;³• 一係 subject <a href="http://omssikhawg.com">offcier& lt;/a>自撰 二係交&a ring;±¬ä¸‹AO/EO 代筆 三係搵OLO (æ³•å®šèªžæ –‡ä¸»ä»») 幫手 前兩者 多數都&a ring;ªä¿‚ 識字 夠寫 report 酬酢文ç&laq uo; æˆ–ç¨éœ€æ– ‡é‡‡å˜…æ™‚å€™å° ±åªæœ‰éš¨&arin g;¿ƒè€Œè¡Œ 想寫乜&ar ing;°±å¯«ä¹œ æœ‰æ™‚å°±ç® ;—搵OLO 睇/改過 最後都ä&i quest;‚班end-users 話事 如果主ä ;º‹è€…è¡Œå¹&ac ute;未過五十 啲中文恐 怕都只ä&iqu est;‚有限公å&cedi l; 駢四驪& aring;…­ä¹‹é¡žè& shy;˜ç‡å·²ç¶ “算好 唔好講è ;©±è­˜å¯« 啲subject <a href="http://omssikhawg.com">offcier& lt;/a>s/AO/EO 唔掂 搵OLO 會唔會好&ar ing;•²å‘¢ ä»¥å‰å‘¢ç ­äººå«CLO (中文主&a uml;»») 中文咪應 該叻å¥&fr ac12;多囉 理論上ä&iqu est;‚ 但實際&aum l;¸Šå””少做åˆ& deg;高級嘅&egra ve;€å‰è¼© è­¯å•²åˆè ‡­åˆé•·å˜… technical+statutory texts 二三十å¹& acute; 一早已& ccedil;¶“ 近墨者&eacu te;»‘ 年輕啲 ;嘅 古文知è&sh y;˜ä¸€æ¨£ä¿ ‚有限公司 - é‡è‹±èˆˆä¸ ­ä¿‚教育å ;ˆ¶åº¦æ­»&c cedil;—‡ 你入到&ari ng;„間大å­&c edil;å˜…ç¿»è­ ¯ç³»ç‡ä¸ ‹å•²äººä¸­ ;文定英文& aring;»å•² 平日睇 Jane Austen 多定李杜&ea cute;«˜å²‘多 已經知 呢個職ç&s up3;»æœƒé»ž (都未計&eac ute;žèªžæ–‡ç§‘&cced il;›®å•²ç•¢æ¥ ­ç”Ÿ) Subject <a href="http://omssikhawg.com">offcier& lt;/a>s/AO/EO 唔掂 幫手頂å ;˜… OLO 都係五&arin g;æ­¥ç¬‘ç™&frac3 4;æ­¥ æ”¿åºœå•²ä ¸­æ–‡å…¬æ–‡å ””死火å°& plusmn;有鬼
Cristian :
æ”¿åºœå…¬æ –‡ 大致å&frac3 4;—三種做æ ;³• 一係 subject <a href="http://ekvgnfn.com">ofefcir< /a>自撰 二係交&a ring;±¬ä¸‹AO/EO 代筆 三係搵OLO (æ³•å®šèªžæ –‡ä¸»ä»») 幫手 前兩者 多數都&a ring;ªä¿‚ 識字 夠寫 report 酬酢文ç&laq uo; æˆ–ç¨éœ€æ– ‡é‡‡å˜…æ™‚å€™å° ±åªæœ‰éš¨&arin g;¿ƒè€Œè¡Œ 想寫乜&ar ing;°±å¯«ä¹œ æœ‰æ™‚å°±ç® ;—搵OLO 睇/改過 最後都ä&i quest;‚班end-users 話事 如果主ä ;º‹è€…è¡Œå¹&ac ute;未過五十 啲中文恐 怕都只ä&iqu est;‚有限公å&cedi l; 駢四驪& aring;…­ä¹‹é¡žè& shy;˜ç‡å·²ç¶ “算好 唔好講è ;©±è­˜å¯« 啲subject <a href="http://ekvgnfn.com">ofefcir< /a>s/AO/EO 唔掂 搵OLO 會唔會好&ar ing;•²å‘¢ ä»¥å‰å‘¢ç ­äººå«CLO (中文主&a uml;»») 中文咪應 該叻å¥&fr ac12;多囉 理論上ä&iqu est;‚ 但實際&aum l;¸Šå””少做åˆ& deg;高級嘅&egra ve;€å‰è¼© è­¯å•²åˆè ‡­åˆé•·å˜… technical+statutory texts 二三十å¹& acute; 一早已& ccedil;¶“ 近墨者&eacu te;»‘ 年輕啲 ;嘅 古文知è&sh y;˜ä¸€æ¨£ä¿ ‚有限公司 - é‡è‹±èˆˆä¸ ­ä¿‚教育å ;ˆ¶åº¦æ­»&c cedil;—‡ 你入到&ari ng;„間大å­&c edil;å˜…ç¿»è­ ¯ç³»ç‡ä¸ ‹å•²äººä¸­ ;文定英文& aring;»å•² 平日睇 Jane Austen 多定李杜&ea cute;«˜å²‘多 已經知 呢個職ç&s up3;»æœƒé»ž (都未計&eac ute;žèªžæ–‡ç§‘&cced il;›®å•²ç•¢æ¥ ­ç”Ÿ) Subject <a href="http://ekvgnfn.com">ofefcir< /a>s/AO/EO 唔掂 幫手頂å ;˜… OLO 都係五&arin g;æ­¥ç¬‘ç™&frac3 4;æ­¥ æ”¿åºœå•²ä ¸­æ–‡å…¬æ–‡å ””死火å°& plusmn;有鬼
Robert :
This is the strangest book ad I've ever seen, but it works rellay well as a statement on modern publishing and clear proof of the fact that literature is far, far from dying. Things may be changing, yes, but this is literature that's very obviously alive and thriving...
Nicoleta :
You anita,I would take this liberty to call you by your mdeian name only,as Anita happens to be shared by my younger sister, too . Sheis another anita in this world !The technical knowledge you have commended of, is solely byvirtue of persistence and self learning. Expertise ? NO, there are lot of things remaining to be learned ! The intricacies of graphics have always puzzled my inquisitive mind. I confess that still it is in crude form, which I learned through observing my daughter's expertise, presently Final year M.Sc. student at Mumbai University ( Nari Shiksha Niketan ) I have acknowledged it in my earlier posts. Thanks .Good wishes for now and always.amar
Betti :
Posted 1920 days ago
That's clreaed my thoughts. Thanks for contributing.